Category Archives: Uncategorized
Dying and Bereavement Student Paper Prizes, 2018
This year the Dying and Bereavement Interest Group of the Society of Medical Anthropology will award two paper prizes for research in the areas of death, bereavement, mortuary practices, memorialization and/or related rituals.
The Emerging Scholars Paper Award is for undergraduate, graduate students seeking an MA, students in-between a BA and MA program, as well as students who have already obtained their MA. The Doctoral Student Paper Award is for doctoral students and candidates. Awards will be bestowed at the AAA annual meeting and will be accompanied by a $100 prize for each paper.
- Papers may be theoretical and/or empirical but should show strong anthropological grounding.
- Papers must be unpublished.
- A cover page must be attached with the author’s name, address, phone number, email address, institution, department and program (BA, MA, PhD) or specify independent scholar
- Papers should not exceed 20 pages double-spaced pages in length (~5,000 words) with 12 point font
- Online paper submission due: June 1, 2018 to Dr. Margaret Souza at Margaret.Souza@esc.edu. Late submissions will not be accepted.
Places to Publish
The following is a list of journals and book publishers that specialize in death, dying, mourning, and/or bereavement. Please email email@example.com if you have suggestions to be posted here.
- Mortality: A journal by Taylor Francis, promoting the interdiscipinary study of death and dying
Death Studies > https://www.tandfonline.com/loi/udst20
Related Organizations, Institutions, and Groups
Please click on the links below to navigate to related organizations. Please send additional links you would like posted here to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Advice (Grants, IRB proposals/approval, etc.)
The following is a place to find/add suggestions about grant writing and IRB procedures. Please send an email to email@example.com if you have any tips and/or practices to share.
Suggested Resources on Death, Dying, Mourning, and/or Bereavement
The following is a selected compilation of references for research, teaching, or enrichment. Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like add to this list (send a brief summary/abstract of the resource would be helpful).
Green, James W. 2008. Beyond the Good Death: The Anthropology of Modern Dying. Philadelphia, PA: The University of Pennsylvania Press.
Robben, Antonius C. G. M. (Ed.). (2018). A Companion to the Anthropology of Death, Hoboken, NJ: Wiley-Blackwell.
For more information see: https://www.wiley.com/en-us/A+Companion+to+the+Anthropology+of+Death-p-9781119222316
Robben, Antonius C. G. M. (Ed.). (2017). Death, Mourning, and Burial: A Cross-Cultural Reader, 2nd Edition. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley-Blackwell.
For more information see: https://www.wiley.com/en-us/Death%2C+Mourning%2C+and+Burial%3A+A+Cross+Cultural+Reader%2C+2nd+Edition-p-9781119151760